Wishing we were on Boriquen with all of our family

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

monumental milestones

Those with SID children can agree that what most consider small milestones, we consider to be monumental milestones. MY ds always seemed to be slightly disconnected from his body; one side not quite communicating well with the other. We have been working occasionally on getting enough coordination to skip. I am not sure at what age a kid should be able to skip, but I know ds is at his own pace (he's 7 now). His right side dominates so getting his left side to do the same has always been a challenge. So to my surprise, today, totally self initiated, I witnessed my ds skip around my living room. With wood floors, I heard that he was skipping before I saw it. The best part was that he knew he had accomplished something that was hard for him; he had the biggest smile on his face. You know that smile. The one that says "Yes! I did it!" And this was all before I said anything. Of course there were a couple of victory laps around the sofa before he stopped.
For those wondering how we did it, we started of using stomping rhythmically, then we moved to knee ups in place, the last step was to skip slowly. It feels funny but it worked!
Now on to jumping rope....

1 comment:

  1. How exciting, Netty! It's SOOO wonderful to see them accomplish something that is such work for them. Determination and patience!

    Sam and I are working on him being able to hop on one foot. (He can now CROSS his legs when jumping!) We'll work on skipping in the future!

    ReplyDelete