Wishing we were on Boriquen with all of our family

Monday, March 8, 2010

We tried, but didn't work

One of things that we tried but eventually had to drop was Kumon. I love the philosophy and our center's teacher was wonderful with ds. BUT the work was too demanding, requiring a lot of attention nor matter how we divided it up. After a year we decided that the fighting wasn't worth it and discontinued it. I told dh that I could do something similar to Kumon that ds would enjoy more. So now we do "homework". In a simple composition book, I write down a few math problems and some type of language arts activity. He definitely approaches it more positively than he ever did Kumon, especially when the "homework" is more of a game than work. The book I love to use games from is Games for Learning by Peggy Kaye. Not only does it cover a wide range of issues to address by using games and but also tells you which grade you can use the game/activity for (K-3). I might revisit Kumon once ds is older.

No comments:

Post a Comment